Thursday, June 30, 2011

Teen Wolf

I will let you in on a little secret, I'm absolutely hooked on Teen Wolf. I haven't seen the original one with Michael J. Fox, but I just might after this.

Before I tell you (why I like it), let me show you first.
Remember Ty, the adorable son of Marisa (Jennifer Lopez) in Maid in Manhattan?




Well, look at him now.


He plays Scott McCall, a regular teenager bit by a werewolf.

I mean, look at this transition!
Unbelievable! But I have to say he's kept a few of his 'Ty' mannerisms (aka pa-cute ones) which are working for his character on the show.

How about Michael Sullivan Jr. (Tom Hanks' son) from Road to Perdition, anyone see that? 

I personally didn't see that movie, but I do remember him from 7th Heaven where he plays Martin Brewster.


Well look who's all grown up now and shirtless to boot.

He plays Derek Hale, another werewolf who tries to take Scott under his wing (paw? claw?) and teach him the ways of the 'were'.

He also starred as Jerry in Hall Pass, the (much) younger love interest of Christina Applegate's character.

Holy crap, right?

The rest of the cast is pretty easy on the eyes as well (Colton Haynes and Dylan O'Brien), 




but these two are just too good to be true.



 I think I've shown you sufficient evidence as to why I love this show, now let me give you some actual (aka not aesthetic) reasons.

Music
Given that it's an MTV show I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the music is great, and by great I mean music I listen to, bands I go to concerts for, and some I'm glad to have found. So far I've heard them play Two Door Cinema Club, Phantogram, and Tokyo Police Club. The best part is after every episode they have a link where you can check out the music and even download it for free (if you're lucky to be in the USA). 

Realistic
In one of the episodes, Dylan O' Brien (who plays Stiles, Scott's best friend) is going on and on about all the werewolf research he's done and at the end of his monologue he goes "..and yes, I've had a lot of Adderall
When I was younger, I hated it when older people started off their stories by saying 'When I was your age..' or  'Kids these days..', but unfortunately I think I will employ that phrase now. Kids these days are much different from when I was in high school which I think is pretty surprising since it hasn't really been that long since I was there..has it? Oh wait, it's been 10 years since I was a high school freshman. But I digress, I think it's still fairly recent actually. But like anything else, much has changed. When I was in high school all I was concerned about was school and swimming. I think I was pretty late in terms of developing vices to begin with, so had you told me you took Adderall when I was 15, I wouldn't have known what to do with that information. Basically I think that despite the show being intended for younger adults, the producers are very realistic in terms of situations high school kids are going through nowadays. With five episodes in, they've tackled overperfectionism, adoption, divorce, drugs, and pre-marital sex. It's a pretty honest portrayal if you ask me, and I really appreciate that.

Bromance



I love bromance movies. I think male friendships are one of the most genuine relationships there are. There's no passive-aggressiveness or backbiting, which is pretty refreshing to see on TV. The friendship between Scott and Stiles is so genuine and real that I wouldn't be surprised if most of the time they're reacting to each other rather than acting. You have to watch it to get what I mean, but it's really quite funny.

Oh, and check out this video where Dylan sees Selena Gomez on the red carpet and gets so absolutely starstruck.


No comments:

Post a Comment